Quantum Quasar
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Quantum Quasar

A forum for students, or just those hoping to learn new things!

You are not connected. Please login or register

Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis

3 posters

Go down  Message [Page 1 of 1]

1Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:23 pm

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

The Riemann Hypothesis states that:

All non-trivial zeroes of the zeta function have real part 1/2

But there is a much easier way to prove it, and win $1,000,000. Here's how:

Write a list of all the natural numbers, not including 1. The following uses all the natural numbers up to 20, not including 1:

2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

Remove each number that is divisible by a square number (not including 1^2)

2 3 5 6 7 10 11 13 14 15 17 19

With the following numbers, write all of their prime factors.

2-(2) 3-(3) 5-(5) 6-(3,2) 7-(7) 10-(5,2) 11-(11) 13-(13) 14-(7,2) 15-(5,3) 17-(17) 19-(19)

Replace each number that has an odd number of prime factors with the letter A. Replace each number that has an even number of prime factors with the letter B.

A A A B A B A A B B A A

If you can prove that the distribution of As and Bs is statistically random, you will have proved the Riemann Hypothesis, and won $1,000,000 from the Clay Institute (provided the results are published in a paper, you will win the $1,000,000 after two years of your work being scrutinised by mathematicians to make sure it is correct)

Why don't we try and do this?

Find the prime factors of numbers here: https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/math/prime-factors.php

I will find the prime factors of the numbers 2 to 100

2 - 100: Kyx
101 - 200: spotify95
201 - 300: spotify95
301 - 400:Kyx
401 - 500:

Targets (will turn green once reached):

First 1,000 Numbers
First 10,000 Numbers
First 100,000 Numbers
First 1,000,000 Numbers
First 1,000,000,000 Numbers
ALL NUMBERS UP TO INFINITY

Please post your As and Bs below and state which numbers they are for, for example

This is for the numbers 2-20: A A A B A B A A B B A A

EDIT: It should be noted that this will not prove the Reimann hypothesis unless we can do it for all positive numbers, which is impossible using this method. This is designed to have some fun and to get more people interested in mathematics Very Happy

You can find all our results in one post here: https://quantusinc.forumotion.com/t122-riemann-hypothesis-our-proof-so-far#1294

Last edited by Kyx on Wed Apr 18, 2018 2:38 am; edited 5 times in total

https://quantusinc.forumotion.com

2Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:05 pm

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

This is for the numbers 2 to 100: AAABABAABBAABBABAAABBBABBAAABABABBBAABBAABAAABBAABABBBABBBBA

Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Image11

3Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Wed Jun 21, 2017 1:38 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Kyx wrote:This is for the numbers 2 to 100: AAABABAABBAABBABAAABBBABBAAABABABBBAABBAABAAABBAABABBBABBBBA

Awesome stuff Smile

Just to ask, if I come across with 2 or more prime factors that are the same (e.g. 2, 2, 17), would I have to list both of the 2's, and would they both be counted in the prime factors of the number (to determine the A or B)?

Thanks!

4Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:04 pm

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:This is for the numbers 2 to 100: AAABABAABBAABBABAAABBBABBAAABABABBBAABBAABAAABBAABABBBABBBBA

Awesome stuff Smile

Just to ask, if I come across with 2 or more prime factors that are the same (e.g. 2, 2, 17), would I have to list both of the 2's, and would they both be counted in the prime factors of the number (to determine the A or B)?

Thanks!

You shouldn't come across two prime factors that are the same, because then that number would be divisible by a square number. We get rid of all numbers divisible by a square number (not including 1^2) Smile

5Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:16 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Awesome stuff Smile

Thanks!

You shouldn't come across two prime factors that are the same, because then that number would be divisible by a square number. We get rid of all numbers divisible by a square number (not including 1^2) Smile

Okay, thanks for clarifying. Silly me forgetting about the square numbers!

Please can you check this for me to make sure I am doing it right? This is for numbers 201 - 220. (Any crossed out are divisible by a square number.)

Of course, I will add the As and Bs (A for odd number of factors, B for even, am I right?) once I've done them all, and from now on I shall do it on scrap paper rather than my whiteboard, but this is just to check that I'm doing it properly!

Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis 20170711

6Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:17 am

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Awesome stuff Smile

Thanks!

Please can you check this for me to make sure I am doing it right? This is for numbers 201 - 220. (Any crossed out are divisible by a square number.)

Of course, I will add the As and Bs (A for odd number of factors, B for even, am I right?) once I've done them all, and from now on I shall do it on scrap paper rather than my whiteboard, but this is just to check that I'm doing it properly!

All good yep Smile

7Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:40 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Awesome stuff Smile

Thanks!

All good yep Smile

Thanks Smile

Please can you check this as well? This is the complete set of numbers (201-300).
After a while, it becomes quite easy to remember, that anything divisible by 4 goes, anything divisible by 9 goes, anything divisible by 25 goes etc.

Note, I have used my phone to take the photo this time but in the future I will use my scanner on my printer.

Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis 20170712

Numbers from 201 to 300: BBBBBBBABBBBBBBAABAAAAABBAAAABBABBAAABBABABAAABABAAAAABABABBB. (If this doesn't match what is on the paper, the paper one is correct, as I checked that - can't guarantee if this has typos or not)

8Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Fri Jul 07, 2017 8:21 am

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

If you use the prime factor website in the OP, it should be correct Very Happy Smile

9Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:26 am

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Kyx wrote:If you use the prime factor website in the OP, it should be correct Very Happy Smile

Yeah I did use the prime factor thing that you linked me to, otherwise I would have not had a clue!

10Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:17 am

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:If you use the prime factor website in the OP, it should be correct Very Happy Smile

Yeah I did use the prime factor thing that you linked me to, otherwise I would have not had a clue!

Then it should be perfect Very Happy Cool Razz

11Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:55 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Awesome!

Has anyone else decided to take this further with a few more numbers? Or do we need to do some more ourselves? Smile

12Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:47 am

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Awesome!

Has anyone else decided to take this further with a few more numbers? Or do we need to do some more ourselves? Smile

I think we'll have to do it ourselves Smile

13Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:24 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Awesome!

That's fine; I don't know whether anyone else (such as ThatsAGoodOne349 or S2M) will chime in, if not then I'll do TAGO's 100-199 and we'll carry on from there Smile

14Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:00 pm

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:
spotify95 wrote:

Awesome!

That's fine; I don't know whether anyone else (such as ThatsAGoodOne349 or S2M) will chime in, if not then I'll do TAGO's 100-199 and we'll carry on from there Smile

If you could ask them to go on here more often, that would be great. If not, then I'll do the next one Smile

15Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:18 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Okay I'm claiming 101 - 200 if that's okay Smile
Kyx, we'll have to get it done between the two of us (unless someone else will help us).

16Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:31 pm

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

spotify95 wrote:Okay I'm claiming 101 - 200 if that's okay Smile
Kyx, we'll have to get it done between the two of us (unless someone else will help us).

yep

And I'm claiming 301-400 then

Might not be done very soon sinc I'm busy but I'll try and get it snuck in sometime :p

17Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Mon Aug 28, 2017 10:54 pm

spotify95

spotify95
Admin

Kyx wrote:

yep

Might not be done very soon sinc I'm busy but I'll try and get it snuck in sometime :p

Awesome stuff. I'm going to be busy tomorrow but if I get a moment soon then I'll do it. Might have to get used to how to do it!

Btw, how do we manage to get the "numbers up to infinity" bit done? How is that even possible?

18Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:45 am

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

For the numbers 301 - 400:

BBBBABAAABAABBABBBBBABBABBABAAAABABABBAAABAABABBAABABBBBBABA

Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Img_0810

19Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:46 pm

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

spotify95 wrote:
Kyx wrote:

yep

Awesome stuff. I'm going to be busy tomorrow but if I get a moment soon then I'll do it. Might have to get used to how to do it!

Btw, how do we manage to get the "numbers up to infinity" bit done? How is that even possible?

It isn't. I have edited the OP to make this clear :p

20Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:36 am

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

A kind person on Reddit made a code to calculate the As and Bs for the numbers 2 - 100,000 Smile

https://pastebin.com/nPwQYHTu

21Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:19 am

Peter

Peter

This seems like a fun calculation game, but you'll need to do an infinite number of calculations to actually prove it this way (which is why this method won't work, as you mentioned in the OP). You would need to find a generalization, but just off the top of my head, it seems that the very fact of finding a generalization would prove that the series is not random (though I must admit that I haven't yet taken my statistics courses, so I probably have a naive understanding of randomness), and thus disprove the Riemann hypothesis. This would rewrite the Riemann hypothesis in an interesting way, but not necessarily a more useful one. I commend your efforts, but do you have the beginnings of a way to resolve this?

22Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Empty Re: Help me prove the Riemann Hypothesis Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:33 pm

Kyx

Kyx
Admin

Peter wrote:This seems like a fun calculation game, but you'll need to do an infinite number of calculations to actually prove it this way (which is why this method won't work, as you mentioned in the OP).  You would need to find a generalization, but just off the top of my head, it seems that the very fact of finding a generalization would prove that the series is not random (though I must admit that I haven't yet taken my statistics courses, so I probably have a naive understanding of randomness), and thus disprove the Riemann hypothesis.  This would rewrite the Riemann hypothesis in an interesting way, but not necessarily a more useful one.  I commend your efforts, but do you have the beginnings of a way to resolve this?

Nope, I guess we'll just have to keep doing it purely for fun :p

Sponsored content

Back to top  Message [Page 1 of 1]

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum